New Zealand is a very Earth conscious country. They are all about preserving the nature that already exists! With a beautiful place like this, why wouldn’t you protect mother nature?
It didn’t start this way, there were signs in the Redwood Forest that says, “New Zealand’s greatest biological loss is 42 percent of its’ terrestrial birds since human settlement 700 years ago.” In addition to that, the Europeans brought in possums to make fur clothes, but the possums grew in numbers and began to feed on the native birds. The Maori culture, the first settlers, were ahead of their time and attempted to reverse this unfortunate happenstance. New Zealand has been protective of their nature ever since.
Tip: If you’re planning on bringing your used hiking shoes into the country, the airport will clean your shoes and tents for you to protect their native agriculture from any harm! Either bring new hiking shoes or clean yours very well!
This motivated us to protect mother nature even more! We bring reusable bottles every where to avoid buying plastic bottles. We use reusable shopping bags every where we shop. We bring silver utensils to small restaurants to avoid using plastic utensils. We use eco-friendly soap, sunscreen, household cleaners, etc. I normally don’t’ enjoy chores, but using eco-friendly house cleaners has made me want to clean every thing! Now I’m on the haunt to reduce even more waste.
Check out what I have found that can help you feel good saving the earth while saving your wallet at the same time!
- Use reusable bottles and tumblers every where you go! I run a lot of errands, so being on the go and staying hydrated is important. You can buy reusable bottles and tumblers everywhere now! When you want cold water to stay hydrated, use the reusable bottle. If you want coffee or tea to keep you awake, use a tumbler to keep your drink nice and warm! Making your own coffee at home can save you money and save the earth from another wasted disposable cup!
- I bring my custom BOSS Entertainment reusable water with me! For those who don’t know, I own a gogo dancing company called BOSS Entertainment. We need water on the job constantly and water bottles just come and go every night for us! Some even get thrown away by barbacks before we can even finish the water. With the reusable bottle, the barbacks don’t throw them out! We ask for the bartenders to refill our bottle with water and it sits on our platform. While shopping around on errands, I find drinking fountains to refill the bottle Marketing and saving the earth at the same time! To get yours, check out boompromo.com!
- Use reusable shopping bags when making purchases anywhere! Did you know that turtles can’t tell the difference between jellyfishes and plastic bags? Sea turtles have suffocated from accidentally eating plastic bags. Let’s reduce plastic bag use! Reusable shopping bags can be found every where now! Companies hand these out for FREE at conventions, festivals, any where there is a booth. Find them, keep them in your car, and use them at grocery stores, the mall, anywhere that you would need to use a bag for. Sprouts grocery store will even give you a 5cent discount for every reusable bag you bring in! If you’re any thing like us, I know you have accumulated too many pesky plastic bags. You’ll feel better reducing waste when you start shopping with them!
- Bring glass tupperwares in the car. When you do take out or you eat out with leftovers, you can use your glassware in place of the plastic or styrofoam the restaurants usually use.
- When you eat out, politely ask your server to take away any paper or plastic napkins, straws, cups and single-serving containers, if you can. Just politely say, “Water with no straw, please.”
- Reduce the amount of unwanted mail you receive. The average resident in America receives over 30 pounds of junk mail per year. Do your best to stop your junk mail. Who likes junk mail anyway? You’ll help save trees! Any coupons you need can be found online on your phone any time!
- Make your own non-toxic and effective toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and even makeup! I am going to be making my own makeup brush cleaner here in a second! You can reuse the spray bottles from your old brush cleaner. Then use household products, so you know exactly what’s going on your brush and on your face! Not only will it save me money, but it will save the environment, too!
- Let your hands air dry! When using public restrooms, instead of using the paper towels, why not use the blow dryer? No blow dryer available? Just let your hands air dry! In New Zealand, the public bathrooms didn’t offer paper towels, so you’re forced to use the blow dryer. We eventually got used to this. The only thing paper towels ever did is a quick way to dry your hands, saving you a couple of seconds. In a rush? Just walk out after washing and flicking your hands dry, saving you even more couple of seconds to live your life!
How do YOU plan on reducing your waste? What else do you do to save mother nature?